Creating a dating web app is a challenging task that will assist in taking your development skills to the next level. With the current proliferation of dating websites and apps, knowing their underlying technologies could give you sufficient impetus to get your hands dirty and start building one yourself.
In this project tutorial, taught by Kuzzmi, who has more than 8 years of web development experience, you’ll learn all the ins and outs of using Node.js and other associated technologies to create a versatile dating app.
This project, How to Create a Dating Web App in Node.js, is in teaching mode. Since it is being streamed live, you can interact with the streamer and get your questions answered in real time.
Here is the streaming schedule for this project:
- Schedule: Weekly, 6 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays.
What is the project about?
This project is about building a dating web app in Node.js—from scratch to a fully functional application. Kuzzmi has integrated his years of experience in ensuring that you acquire all the essential skills to bring your killer, Facebook-competing website to life.
You’ll learn how to use Node.js, MongoDB, and React.js to make your application user-friendly and powerful. Kuzzmi will guide you through the entire process of creating a modern application.
On the backend, you’ll learn about developing REST-like API with authentication features as well as implementing and integrating file storage and database capabilities.
On the frontend, you’ll be taken through the entire process of creating appealing visual design for a web application.
For who is the project aimed at?
Have you been wondering about the underlying technologies that power successful dating applications like OkCupid, Badoo, or Tinder? Are you interested in building web applications from scratch entirely by yourself? Or, do you just want to learn new web development skills?
Then, this project tutorial is all you need. The streamer will take you through a hands-on step-by-step process of creating a resourceful web application and take part in the current social media revolution.
Are there any prerequisites before enrolling for this project?
To get the most of this project, you need to have basic knowledge of the following technologies:
- React.js (learn it by watching the How to Create a Todo App in React.js project)
What will you be able to do after finishing the project?
As earlier mentioned, after completing this project, you’ll acquire the skills to build an advanced dating app, from the start to the finish.
Here are some things you’ll be able to:
- Registering and authenticating users
- Storing users’ data
- Creating an algorithm that matches people’s profiles
- Uploading files
- Implementing real-time chatting capabilities
- Building React components
You can use the skills gained to extrapolate the features of the app before releasing it to the wild. Or, you can create another powerful application altogether—it all depends on your ability to stretch your limits.
Session 1: Setting-up the environment
- Giving an overview of the entire project
- Setting up the initial environment for developing the app
- Creating the basic file structure for both the frontend and the backend
Session 2: Creating first pages and basic API endpoints
- Creating a simple homepage and adding registration and login screens.
- Developing a few first React.js components and plugging the associated packages.
- Creating the first API endpoints for registering and authenticating users.
Session 3: Creating profile pages and MongoDB
- Connecting the API to use MongoDB for storing users’ information.
- Creating a user schema with Mongoose for MongoDB.
- Building users’ profile pages to allow potential users to register, login, update settings, and check other profiles.
Session 4: Implementing authentication using Passport.js
- Implementing JWT authentication using Passport.js for allowing identification of users.
Session 5: Adding registration and refactoring features
- Adding registration capabilities to the app and including refactoring to the React.js code to optimize future processes.
Session 6: Incorporating a matching algorithm
- Including a matching algorithm to allow people to easily find each other on the dating application.
- Creating UI to allow users to interact with each other.
Session 7: Adding WebSockets using socket.io
- Adding WebSockets support to the dating app using the socket.io package on the backend.
- Adding new React.js components for UI on the frontend.
This tutorial can be a wonderful learning experience for those who want to learn how to build a dating app and escalate their web development skills to the next level.
So, what are you still waiting for?
Grab the LiveEdu Pro subscription account and start creating the dating web app in Node.js. Subscription starts at only $9.99/month and will allow you to access other Premium Projects, as well.
Here is the link to the project.
See you inside!